Thursday, April 16, 2015

April 17th - A Day of Silence

So back in 2003 I heard about the Day of Silence. A Friday in April when students across the country remained silent to show their support for other students that had to keep quiet about their sexual orientation. A way to speak out against bullying without saying a word. I tried to join it, but being from such a small community that didn't understand it didn't turn out so well.

I decided this year to partake again.

Traditionally it is a thing only done by students, but I don't see why that has to be. There are plenty of adults out there that feel that they can't be who they want to be for fear of hatred. It is also a campaign for the LGBTQA+, but they are not the only ones bullied for who they are. People can be terribly unaccepting when they want to be.

So tomorrow I am going to take a vow of silence. That means complete silence. No talking with friends, family (yeah, even the kids), and not online. I have almost always felt safe in expressing my beliefs and preferences, but there are so many others that can't. Even if you are just a plain jane and have nothing to be silent about, maybe you should consider being silent for the day, it may give you a look into how others feel when they are unable to express themselves.

I am hoping that by doing this I can show my kids (mainly Jareth since he is older) how devastating bullying can be. I may fail, I may end up breaking down and talking with the kids, and I may give in to check a notice on Twitter. Or I may make it through the day, having to be quiet about my opinions and thoughts for the first time in my life, or since I came out of the broom closet back in 2001. Either way, I hope to raise some awareness for those out there that even as adults they don't feel free to be themselves. That alone could inspire something big.

For those that don't feel they have anybody to talk to, please feel free to message me. Reach out because I am here to listen to whatever you have to say about whatever subject. You don't have to be quiet!

No comments:

Post a Comment